Two SGAHS Students Represent SGASD in the Future Leaders of York Program
Leadership York's Future Leaders of York (FLY) program includes high school sophomores and juniors from over twenty York County high schools. The students learn to become lifelong, responsible, active participants in their hometown community. Participants develop leadership skills and lasting relationships with each other and community leaders. The program runs from October through May.
Ben Patterson and Nicholas Etter were chosen to represent Spring Grove Area High School in the program. To be eligible for the program, a student is identified as an emerging leader in his/her school community. Through interaction and problem solving with peer and community leaders, students:
- Learn about York County government, business, human services, and cultural arts
- Meet students from other York County schools
- Develop leadership skills
- Discuss issues with community leaders
- In addition to a Saturday retreat and 6-weekday sessions, the students perform community service projects, meet with established community leaders, participate in a community leader networking session and learn about informed giving and grant-making, both in theory and in actual practice.
Dr. Ioannidis had the pleasure of attending the Future Leaders of York luncheon with Nicholas and Ben on January 15, 2020. The focus of discussions at this year's luncheon was the current education system in York County and how school districts are working to improve the educational experience for all students as budgets shrink and the demands of standardized assessments increase. Administrators and students met in small conversational groups while enjoying lunch to discuss these issues. It is an enlightening experience for both the students and the school administrators.
Congratulations to Nicholas and Ben on being selected for the program and for their commitment to our local school community!