First Day of School for Students
August 17th - 7th Grade & 9th Grade Students Only
August 18th - First Day for All Grades
The 2021-2022 school calendar is available on the District’s website at the bottom of the Calendar webpage: www.sgasd.com/calendar.
Formal school supply lists are not sent home from the District. SGASD will provide all of the necessary supplies for your child to have a quality educational experience. Some teachers may provide a suggestion for a specific or unique item, however, those items are not required and are to be considered optional. Although consumable supplies (pencils, paper, glue sticks, pens, etc.) will be provided by the District, students are welcome to bring their own personal supplies to school as desired.
TransportationBus information for students will be available in the Sapphire Community Web Portal by August 4th. We kindly ask parents to continue to check their Sapphire Community Web Portal account for any changes to bus stops up until the first day of school, as there could be a slight potential for a change if there is a last-minute influx of new students.Bus Stop ChangesAll requests for new stops or changes must be sent to the Transportation Department in writing. Send via e-mail: email@example.com.District Policy indicates NO bus changes will be made 10 days before or 10 days after the start of school (Wednesday, August 18, 2021). Please email your requests as they will be addressed on an individual basis.Bus PassesIf your child utilizes district transportation, they are required to ride their assigned bus only. Bus passes will NOT be issued for the 2021-2022 school year.We Ask For Your PatiencePlease note, for the first few days of school, there may be delays in bus transportation as everyone acclimates to the new school year. We greatly appreciate your patience.For more information, please visit the Transportation Department webpage.Teacher Assignments/Class Schedules
Teacher assignments and/or class schedules will be available in the Sapphire Community Web Portal by August 4th, with the exception of the Middle School*.*The Middle School will provide the teacher assignments at the Middle School Orientation. Class schedules will be provided on the first day of school.
Regular School ScheduleSpring Grove Elementary School (Grades K-4)
8:10 AM - 3:00 PMNew Salem Elementary School (Grades K-4)
8:00 AM - 3:10 PM
Paradise Elementary School (Grades K-4)
8:00 AM - 3:10 PMSpring Grove Area Intermediate School (Grades 5 & 6)
8:10 AM - 2:55 PMSpring Grove Area Middle School (Grades 7 & 8)
7:00 AM - 1:45 PMSpring Grove Area High School (Grades 9 - 12)
7:00 AM - 1:45 PMImmunization InformationAccording to Pennsylvania state law, students must provide documentation of required immunizations within the first (5) days of the 2021-2022 school year. According to the School District calendar, Day 5 will be Tuesday, August 24, 2021.
Students who have not provided the required documentation to the school nurse by Tuesday, August 24 at 4:00 pm, may be excluded from school as of Wednesday, August 25, 2021, until appropriate documentation is provided to the school.
In order to avoid a disruption in your child’s education, we are providing you with a list of required immunizations to share with your medical provider in order to obtain documentation of all required immunizations or to schedule an appointment prior to the August 24, 2021, deadline.
If you have specific questions related to your child’s immunization status, please contact your child’s medical provider. We appreciate your assistance in obtaining the required immunizations as we comply with state mandates.
Students in ALL grades (K-12) need the following immunizations for attendance:
- Four (4) doses of tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis* (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of polio (4th dose on or after 4th birthday and at least 6 months after the previous dose is given)
- 2 doses of measles, mumps and rubella**
- 3 doses of hepatitis B
- 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity
*Usually given as DTaP or DTP or Td
**Usually given as MMR
Students in grades 7-12 require ADDITIONAL immunizations for attendance:
- Two (2) doses of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV). (First dose is given at 11-15 years of age; second dose at age 16 or entry into grade 12. IF dose was given at age 16 or higher, only one dose is required.)
- One (1) dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap)
Back-to-School Nights & Orientations
New Salem Elementary School
- August 10th, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM: Kindergarten Orientation
- August 25th, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM: Back-to-School Night (Grades 1-4)
Paradise Elementary School
- August 11th, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM: Kindergarten Orientation
- August 12th, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM: 1st Grade Back-to-School Bash
- August 24th, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM: Back-to-School Night (Grades 1-4)
Spring Grove Elementary School
- August 12th, 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM: Kindergarten Orientation
- August 26th, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Back-to-School Night (Grades 1-4)
Spring Grove Area Intermediate School
- August 16th, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM: Back-to-School Night
Spring Grove Area Middle School
- August 3rd, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Middle School Orientation
- September 1st, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Back-to-School Night
Spring Grove Area High School
- August 11th, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM: 9th Grade & New Student Orientation
- September 2nd, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Back-to-School Night
School Meal Menus
School meal menus are available on the Nutrition Services menus page HERE.
Through the USDA waiver, school meals for the 2021-2022 school year are free for all students.
For more information on Nutrition Services, including the paperwork for free or reduced-price meals, please click here.
If you don't have a MySchoolBucks account, sign up now. It's a quick and easy to pay for school items like:
- School meals (free this year, but can use this to pay for extra meals and à la carte items)
- iPad protection fee
- Birthday baskets (grades K-6)
- Classroom snacks (grade K-6; purchase a bundle of classroom snacks for your child's entire class)
The convenience fees are waived for purchases through MySchoolBucks.
Visit www.myschoolbucks.com or download the app from Google Play or the App Store.
iPad Protection Plan
Avoid costly repair fees by purchasing the iPad Protection Plan. This optional, non-refundable protection plan, is $20.00 per student in grades K-4 and $30 per student in grades 5-12.
Click HERE for additional details.
Students and families who are in need of a non-traditional learning environment have the option to request admission into our SGFlex program that has been expanded to include asynchronous independent online learning at home and synchronous daily live instruction at home. SGFlex is available for students in grades Kindergarten through 12. Instructional delivery is tailored to the grade level to best meet the needs of our students.
Please note: Any changes to your child's mode of learning after July 15, 2021, will be reviewed and considered based on the availability of resources and available seats in requested/required courses. If you request to change your child's learning environment from traditional to SGFlex after July 15th or at another time during the school year, and an accommodation is able to be made, please allow approximately two weeks for the change to take place to allow time for the ordering of materials, schedule changes, etc.
To learn more about the SGFlex instructional delivery options, please visit the SGFlex website here.