School Safety Message
The safety of our schools is a priority that the Spring Grove Area School District (SGASD) takes very seriously. SGASD takes multiple steps to uphold its mission of providing a safe learning environment for our students, and some of these steps are listed below:
- SGASD has a strong and ongoing partnership with both Northern York County Regional and Southwestern Regional Police
- For ten years, SGASD has subcontracted with Northern York County Regional Police Department to have a School Resource Officer (SRO) whose responsibility is the safety of our students and staff. The SRO’s visibility within our school buildings helps build relationships and therefore fosters open communication.
- In addition to the SRO, it is common practice for Northern York County Regional and Southwestern Regional Police Departments to perform weekly walk-throughs of each school building.
- All doors and entrances are locked throughout the day. Visitors must be cleared prior to entry and are registered with the main office of the school building.
- The District utilizes a variety of video surveillance.
- Safety drills are practiced by all students and staff.
- SGASD collaborated with York County Emergency Management, police departments, and first responders to conduct a Critical Incident Response Exercise to evaluate the District’s emergency management plan.
- The District continuously reviews and evaluates its safety plans with professionals from York County Emergency Management and both police departments.
- SGASD participates in the York County Safety Council and the Safe School Association of York County.
- The District provides mental health assistance to students and families directly and indirectly with onsite staff and a wide range of other service providers.
Community members, parents, staff, and students are an important part of creating a positive and safe environment in our schools. If you see, hear, or read something unsettling, please report it immediately to a school official and/or the police. We will continue to investigate any reported tips and remain vigilant in our efforts to maintain school safety.
The District greatly appreciates your continued support in creating a safe learning environment for our students.