- Drink water all day, every day- carry a water bottle to classes. Make it a habit!!
- Drink warm water, honey & lemon to soothe a sore throat
- Drink Throat Coat Tea (with honey and lemon)
- Safely inhale steam when you're congested
- Visit the doctor if you feel like something is wrong
- Warm up your vocals before trying to sing a song or stretch your range
- Coffee and black tea (including chai and any tea with caffeine. These dehydrate you.)
- Dairy (especially before practicing or performing)
- Yelling- make sure to project from your core, not the throat, or you may lose your voice
- Time spent working on high range
- Whispering, especially if you have a sore throat. Try talking at a low volume instead. Go on vocal rest if you are really experiencing pain. This includes talking and singing.
- Scream (even at concerts and sporting events! See the note above about yelling from your core- project!)
- Sing if you’re feeling pain. This is not a "no pain, no gain" situation. Pain= stop.