First Day of School for Students
August 22nd - First Day for Kindergarten, 5th Grade, 7th Grade & 9th Grade Students Only
August 23rd - First Day for All Other Grades
The 2022-2023 school calendar is available on the District’s website at the bottom of the Calendar webpage.
Formal school supply lists are not sent home from the District. SGASD will provide all of the necessary supplies for your child to have a quality educational experience. Some teachers may provide a suggestion for a specific or unique item. However, those items are not required and are to be considered optional. Although consumable supplies (pencils, paper, glue sticks, pens, etc.) will be provided by the District, students are welcome to bring their own personal supplies to school as desired.
TransportationBus information for students will be available in the Sapphire Community Web Portal by August 8th. We kindly ask parents to continue to check their Sapphire Community Web Portal account for any changes to bus stops up until the first day of school, as there could be a slight potential for a change if there is a last-minute influx of new students.
Bus Stop ChangesAll requests for new stops or changes must be sent to the Transportation Department in writing. Send via e-mail: email@example.com.District Policy indicates NO bus changes will be made 10 days before or 10 days after the start of school (Tuesday, August 23, 2022). Please email your requests as they will be addressed on an individual basis.
Bus PassesIf your child utilizes district transportation, they are required to ride their assigned bus only. Bus passes will NOT be issued for the 2022-2023 school year.
We Ask For Your PatiencePlease note, that for the first few days of school, there may be delays in bus transportation as everyone acclimates to the new school year. We greatly appreciate your patience.For more information, please visit the Transportation Department webpage.
Teacher Assignments/Class SchedulesTeacher assignments and/or class schedules will be available in the Sapphire Community Web Portal by August 3rd.
Regular School Schedule
All K - 4 Elementary Schools (NSE, PES, & SGE):
8:35 AM - 3:15 PMSpring Grove Area Intermediate School (Grades 5 & 6):
8:25 AM - 3:05 PMSpring Grove Area Middle & High Schools (grades 7-12):
7:20 AM - 2:05 PM
Back-to-School Nights & Orientations
New Salem Elementary School
- August 16th, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM: Kindergarten Orientation
- August 18th, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM: Back-to-School Night (Grades 1-4)
Paradise Elementary School
- August 15th, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM: Kindergarten Orientation
- August 30th, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM: Back-to-School Night (Grades 1-4)
Spring Grove Elementary School
- August 17th, 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM: 1st Grade Orientation
- August 18th, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM: Kindergarten Orientation
- August 25th, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM: Back-to-School Night (Grades 2-4)
Spring Grove Area Intermediate School
- August 17th, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM: Back-to-School Night/Orientation
Spring Grove Area Middle School
- August 9th, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM: Middle School Orientation
- September 1st, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Back-to-School Night
Spring Grove Area High School
- August 10th, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: 9th Grade & New Student Orientation
- August 31st, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Back-to-School Night
The USDA waiver for free school meals has ended, and meal prices are once again in effect. Our school meal prices remain the same as before the USDA waiver. We highly encourage you to take advantage of our school meal program. We offer affordable nutritious meals that include fresh fruits and vegetables from local vendors and a milk choice with every meal. Not only will your children receive the nourishment they need to help them Learn Without Limits, but it also makes one less thing on your to-do list every evening during the busy school year! We hope you'll encourage your child(ren) to try our tasty meals.
School Meal Prices (no increase)
- Breakfast: $1.25 for grades K–4 and $1.35 for grades 5-12
- Lunch: $2.30 for grades K-4 and $2.55 for grades 5-12
Free and Reduced-Price School Meals
If you feel that your family may qualify for free or reduced-price school meals, please complete the online or paper application. Families who wish to receive free or reduced-price meals must complete a new family application each year. Applications are approved based on federal standards for family size and income. By completing the application, you may also be approved for other assistance such as food stamps, energy assistance, and the Children's Health Insurance Program.
School meal menus are located on the Nutrition Services Menus webpage and will be available by August 8th.
For more information on Nutrition Services, please click here.
If you don't have a MySchoolBucks account, sign up now. It's a quick and easy way to pay for school items like:
- School meals
- iPad protection fee
- Birthday baskets (grades K-6)
- Classroom snacks (grade K-6; purchase a bundle of classroom snacks for your child's entire class)
The convenience fees are waived for purchases through MySchoolBucks.
Visit www.myschoolbucks.com or download the app from Google Play or the App Store.
iPad Protection Plan
Avoid costly repair fees by purchasing the iPad Protection Plan. The plan covers any repairs due to accidental damage throughout the school year.
About the Plan
- It is optional and non-refundable.
- $20 per student in grades K-4.
- $30 per student in grades 5-12. The price is higher due to the extra cost of the keyboard case.
- It covers any repairs needed due to accidental damage to the iPad or the case throughout the school year.
- It covers common damage such as cracked screens.
- It covers your child's iPad throughout the entire school year, for that particular year only.
- It does NOT cover charging cords or charging bricks.
- It does NOT cover intentional damage/defacement of the keyboard case (grades 5-12). This will result in a $99 invoice.
- It does NOT cover intentional damage to the iPad. This will result in an invoice for the cost of the damage.
How to Purchase the Plan
The plan can only be purchased through MySchoolBucks.com in the SGASD Store section. Cash or checks will not be accepted. Please contact your building principal if purchasing the protection plan is a financial hardship.
Click HERE for additional details.
Immunization InformationAccording to Pennsylvania state law, students must provide documentation of required immunizations within the first (5) days of the 2022-2023 school year. According to the School District calendar, Day 5 will be Monday, August 29, 2022.
Students who have not provided the required documentation to the school nurse by Monday, August 29 at 4:00 PM, may be excluded from school as of Tuesday, August 30, 2022, until appropriate documentation is provided to the school.
To avoid disrupting your child’s education, we are providing you with a list of required immunizations to share with your medical provider to obtain documentation of all required immunizations or to schedule an appointment before the August 29, 2022 deadline.
If you have specific questions related to your child’s immunization status, please contact your child’s medical provider. We appreciate your assistance in obtaining the required immunizations as we comply with state mandates.
Students in ALL grades (K-12) need the following immunizations for attendance:
- Four (4) doses of tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis* (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of polio (4th dose on or after 4th birthday and at least 6 months after the previous dose is given)
- 2 doses of measles, mumps, and rubella**
- 3 doses of hepatitis B
- 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity
*Usually given as DTaP or DTP or Td
**Usually given as MMR
Students in grades 7-12 require ADDITIONAL immunizations for attendance:
- Two (2) doses of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV). (First dose is given at 11-15 years of age; second dose at age 16 or entry into grade 12. IF dose was given at age 16 or higher, only one dose is required.)
- One (1) dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap)
Athletics for Grades 7 - 12
Official Start Dates for the Fall Athletic Season
- August 8th: Varsity Football and Golf
- August 15th: Cheerleading, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Fresh/JH Football, Boys & Girls Soccer, Girls Tennis, and Girls Volleyball
Any student that plans to play sports in the fall MUST submit their information via the Rank One system. Any questions regarding sports physicals and Rank One, please contact our Athletic Trainer Marina Rohrbaugh, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you did not attend the physicals at Spring Grove HS on June 2nd, you need to get a sports physical at your primary care physician or an urgent care facility. A physical MUST be submitted to the Athletic Training office at least two days before the start of official practice for you to be eligible for day one.
- Please print and fill out Section 6: Health History and Section 7: CIPPE form for the doctor. A Parent/Guardian should fill out Section 6 and take it with you to the doctor. The doctor will fill out Section 7. Both papers MUST be returned together.
- Physicals may not be authorized in Section 7 BEFORE June 1, 2022.
Any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to the Athletic Office.
- August 16th, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM: Kindergarten Orientation